There is no doubt it takes some work in order to prepare a home for sale. The major decision is whether you should totally declutter the house or do some work that gives it the appearance of still being lived in. The following ten tips will help you prepare your home for sale and increase your chances of a quick sale.
- Make sure your home looks and smells clean.
- Remove all clutter from the floors of the house including the closets. The existence of clutter will give the rooms the appearance of being smaller than they really are.
- Make sure all bookcases are straight and free of dust in between the books. Hang things neatly in the closets and make sure everything is straight inside.
- Organize the pantry including either lining or cleaning all the shelves. Take time to also straighten the laundry room.
- Avoid painting all your walls white but rather have a good variety of paint colors throughout the house. The best way to appeal to potential buyers is a combination of tans, grays, beiges, and whites.
- Do not feel you need to remove any framed photos on bookcases and tables—these provide a feeling of coziness. On the other hand, if you have a hallway that is complete with photos throughout the entire length, remove those and patch and paint the nail holes.
- If you have children leave some of their favorite toys and books in clear view. Be sure to make the beds every single day.
- It is essential to make sure the bathrooms are spotless. This means the removal of all toys from the bathtubs and to make sure there are no towels or clothing on the floor. Remove all rings from the toilets and ensure the bathrooms look and smell clean.
- Statistics seem to show that when there are potted flowers in yellow or red near the front of the house sales are quicker. The yard always needs to be well-maintained as prospective buyers will see the outside before they see the inside.
- If there is a patio make sure it is set up for entertaining. Be sure the furniture is clean and there are fresh flowers in any pots.
The key to a quick sale is to make sure everything is in its place and that unnecessary items are stored away during a showing.